• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixar’s Inside Out |OT| Quirks in Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone else notice that the parents, classmates, and hell probably the dog all had the same sex feelings in their heads (Dad's were all dudes, Mom's were all ladies) except for Riley who had a mix?

That's interesting, maybe it's cause she hasn't hit puberty?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I can't say I especially liked this movie. It felt empty. There weren't a lot of deep exploration about feelings, but then I have to tell myself that it has to appeal to young audience. She felt sad, then fell depressed but didn't really address it. (I feel like the depression kind of theme was better handled by Frozen, per the song "Do You Want To Build A Snowman".) Sadness is sad. Moving on.

As for the volcano thing. . . .

Oh man, that was awful. I really dislike ukelele music, and the weird old-man young-woman thing annoys me, too. :p

I also dislike how women have to be anthropomorphic, but not the volcano "man" just looked like a chubby volcano.

Anyone else notice that the parents, classmates, and hell probably the dog all had the same sex feelings in their heads (Dad's were all dudes, Mom's were all ladies) except for Riley who had a mix?
That was weird.

I feel like there may be a story behind that, but it's not really mentioned. I think they banked on the trailers featuring a very silly "man" vs "woman" trope, and just kept it for sake of not changing things.

Dr.Acula

Banned
They can nominate 10 films for best pic, they really need to start using those extra spaces for animation and comedy. They'll probably end up with 7 best picture noms, at least two of which will be worse than Inside Out, and there will be no Inside Out nom. Anyhow, Ratatouille was Pixars best chance, but that was during the There Will Be Blood/No Country For Old Men year which was a bit of an uphill battle to say the least.

Xun

This film has got to hurry up and release in the UK.

The wait is unbearable. :(

I feel sorry for people who have to wait even longer though.

I can't say I especially liked this movie. It felt empty. There weren't a lot of deep exploration about feelings, but then I have to tell myself that it has to appeal to young audience. She felt sad, then fell depressed but didn't really address it. (I feel like the depression kind of theme was better handled by Frozen, per the song "Do You Want To Build A Snowman".) Sadness is sad. Moving on.

Oh man, that was awful. I really dislike ukelele music, and the weird old-man young-woman thing annoys me, too. :p

I also dislike how women have to be anthropomorphic, but not the volcano "man" just looked like a chubby volcano.

That was weird.

I feel like there may be a story behind that, but it's not really mentioned. I think they banked on the trailers featuring a very silly "man" vs "woman" trope, and just kept it for sake of not changing things.

First thing I read after seeing the movie and come here to discuss it... Andddd I'm out.

Garlador

That was weird.

The Volcanoes are based off the singers themselves.

Though, personally, I felt that the volcano was based off of Hawaii's late great son, Brother Iz.
pixar_lava_teaser_t.jpg

7181655_f248.jpg

Saw it a couple days ago and LOVED IT! It's hard hitting and emotional, but it doesn't feel too sad and dour to watch repeatedly. Walked out of the theater with a big smile on my face and wondering just what my "headquarters" must be like.

Man, every time I think of that gum commercial song I laugh.

I was surprised how I choked up a little when
each island came apart

And I was really fighting back the tears
when Joy finally broke down and started crying; I mean DAMN, Amy Poehler really killed it.

Watching Dexter's Lab recently, I can't help but spot the striking similarity between Bing Bong and Koos a la Goopa Goop

Speaking of cartoon lookalikes, I just can't unsee Fear as Doofenshmirtz

Heinz_Doofenshmirtz.png

AND wow, I was shocked when I read the credits that the two guards were voiced by Dave Goelz (Gonzo) and Frank Oz (classic Yoda, Fozzy, Piggy, Sam Eagle voice)

I'd say the only thing that bugs me, and I'm sure there's an entry in TVTropes for it, is how some memories extracted from the mind of a person become third person somehow. I know it's unavoidable, it just sort of irks me whenever I see it. It's weird because they seem to show a couple that are first person.

A couple sitting next to me was saying they were disappointed there was no end credits scene
particularly no pressing of the puberty button
and I have to agree.

But all in all, yeah, this has got to be one of the biggest movies of the year for me!

mrkgoo

I want to see this movie, and I have yet to take my children to the movies. So, this would be a first movie for both of my boys at the theater. Any more impressions for a 4 and 3 year old?

My 3 y.o. daughter loved it. Mainly because there's a train somewhere in the movie.

In the same situation hoping my daughter will get a good experience. It's either this or minions.

acrid

Banned
I took my 7 year old son to it. I got some popcorn stuck in my throat during
Bing Bong's sacrifice and last line
. Shit was awful, I had to cough loud and the coughing made my eyes water a bit.
Lava was one of the worst things I've seen in quite some time. Easily my least liked Pixar short.

I went to see Terminator Genesys (fam wanted to see it). All throughout the movie I kept thinking "Inside Out is playing next door :("

Hmmm. Food for thought I guess.

In My country however, inside out is rated G and minions is rated PG

There's a considerable amount of cartoon violence and weaponry in Minions (similar to either of the Despicable Me movies), so that's probably why. It's very slapstick, but there's no coarse language or risque clothing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm. Food for thought I guess.

In My country however, inside out is rated G and minions is rated PG
I suppose Inside Out can be hard to understand by kids. It touches some deep concepts that I won't spoil, but I don't think most 5 year olds will be able to follow the story.

It has several non-violent action scenes though, so she may enjoy it anyway. It doesn't hurt that it looks incredibly good too.

I went to see Terminator Genesys (fam wanted to see it). All throughout the movie I kept thinking "Inside Out is playing next door :("
How's Terminator? I feel it's going to totally suck, and yet I want to see it.

There's a considerable amount of cartoon violence and weaponry in Minions (similar to either of the Despicable Me movies), so that's probably why. It's very slapstick, but there's no coarse language or risque clothing.
:p

Edit:
I wasn't impresssed. It's essentially your average summer action blockbuster, so if you love stuff blowing up then I guess it's watchable.

I got to see this movie last night, it's so wonderful! Even though the theater I was in had some chattering kids, it was still amazing.

I wonder what Video Game Island would be like in my head... Plus, that gum commercial XD

Saw it on Thursday. Really great. Very emotional. I thought the movie was a little uneven, though. Took me a while to really get into it. But when it started punching, it didn't hold back. Definitely a classic.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Take her to the moon for me, okay?

I thought Joy was Tara Strong at first

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Triple dent gum will make you smile. Triple dent gum, it lasts a while. Triple dent gum, will help you Mister, to punch bad breath right in the kisser! Triple dent gum!

Fuchsdh

Saw it with my SO the other day. I thought it was solid; I also really was thankful that at the end
they didn't explicitly say "HEY MEMORIES CAN BE A MIX OF EMOTIONS!" They showed it and let the audience figure it out.
I dunno where it ranks on the totem pole of Pixar films but I thought it hit all the notes it was trying to reach.

One thing that bothered me heavily, though, was the effects for the emotions. Their character design is... fuzzy? I guess is the word I would use. They don't have smooth, hard edges;

In practice, it seemed more like a "hey let's see if we can get this working" tech demo and didn't look so hot. It reminds me a lot of the chatter you get around the edges and hair of people when you pull a really bad chroma key on them. I also noticed that since Joy emitted her own light, there were a few shots, particularly in the control room, where she looked like she was badly composited into the environment.

On the plus side, the fuzzy look of the imaginary friend was pretty impressive.

Volcano short was just weird and annoying to me, though.

Triple dent gum will make you smile. Triple dent gum, it lasts a while. Triple dent gum, will help you Mister, to punch bad breath right in the kisser! Triple dent gum!

That was a great recurring gag.

I want a still of that scene where
Joy is touching the screen while viewing the memory of Riley ice skating back in Minessota
, so I can set it as my FB cover photo.

mrkgoo

I suppose Inside Out can be hard to understand by kids. It touches some deep concepts that I won't spoil, but I don't think most 5 year olds will be able to follow the story.

It has several non-violent action scenes though, so she may enjoy it anyway. It doesn't hurt that it looks incredibly good too.

Well, I just got back from it viewing with my 3-year old.

I thought it was fantastic. Particularly fascinating as an interpretation psychology of the mind.

My kid was pretty enthralled by it and didn't get bored but she sits through entire movies anyway (other kids were getting restless).

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
One thing that bothered me heavily, though, was the effects for the emotions. Their character design is... fuzzy? I guess is the word I would use. They don't have smooth, hard edges;
This was very intentional. Helps with the contrast between the real world and mind segments, also helps sell the incredibly cartoony look.
tumblr_nn1c3b0L3t1toet33o6_250.gif

SaganIsGOAT

I absolutely ADORED this movie. Serious tear jerker. As someone who deals with and has dealt with depression, I immediately knew what was happening. The series of events that unrolls until the heart wrenching climax was just captivating. I've never had a movie make me cry so much that my tears went down my cheek, over my jaw and down my neck. I was a wreck by the end. Scenes that got me
[Riley breaking down in class started the feels. Sadness talking to Bing Bong. BING BONG STAYING BEHIND AND DISAPPEARING absolutely slayed me. I was sobbing. Then of course the heart wrenching scene when she returns to her family at the end and speaks truly about what she's feeling. Her dads response saying he misses it too was so heartfelt. I really loved their family dynamic and I am SO happy they didn't run from SF back to Minnesota. Man just thinking about Bing Bing and the climax with her parents chokes me up

100% chance that the blooper reel of one of the next three Pixar films will have the camera zoom in on the head of one of that film's characters to show their own emotions.

anaron

I'm so glad someone pointed out the weird fuzzy outlining. weirded me out and made my think of muppets

movie was pretty great. it's not my favourite Pixar film nor did it leave the same emotionally devastating reaction I've seen elsewhere but some moments were so gorgeous.

the opinions/facts is going to be the most overused gif soon enough and I can't wait

I'm so glad someone pointed out the weird fuzzy outlining. weirded me out and made my think of muppets

I can't find the article, but apparently using that effect added a significant amount of time to the rendering process. The art director must have LOVED it.

Well, I just got back from it viewing with my 3-year old.

I thought it was fantastic. Particularly fascinating as an interpretation psychology of the mind.

My kid was pretty enthralled by it and didn't get bored but she sits through entire movies anyway (other kids were getting restless).

Awesome! I'm hearing a lot either way when it comes to little kids, so I just don't want to say it's a sure thing.

SaganIsGOAT

OH NO OH NO IM SO SORRY 😭😭😭😭😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😢😥😓😖

Cronox

Banned
Just got back from seeing this, it was a great movie. Though I think it works best for adults. Lewis Black is perhaps the best choice to voice the personification of anger. Surprisingly emotional at times, too.

Just watched this movie. FANTASTIC. It was so good.

For me, it wasn't Bing Bong's death, but Riley breaking down in front of her parents that hit me hard. It was perfect in so may ways

e_i

Nah, the part that made me cry the hardest was
Bing Bong's death. I knew he was fucked.

Also, Joy was kind of a
bitch. Seriously, sacrificing Sadness?
Good to see her learn something in the end. Also, Disgust's scene at the end was hilarious
using Anger as a flame thrower.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, the part that made me cry the hardest was
Bing Bong's death. I knew he was fucked.

Also, Joy was kind of a
bitch. Seriously, sacrificing Sadness?
Good to see her learn something in the end. Also, Disgust's scene at the end was hilarious
using Anger as a flame thrower.
I think
Joy wasn't a bad pers... emotion, even if she came out looking like that. She wanted the best for Riley, even if it came at the expense of other emotions. It's not hate, it's ignorance.
And yes, Disgust is awesome!

Going to see it again tonight, with 10 friends (and I'm probably the most excited one!). Hopefully they won't talk too much, I really want to hear the English voices.

SND

Banned
One thing that bothered me heavily, though, was the effects for the emotions. Their character design is... fuzzy? I guess is the word I would use. They don't have smooth, hard edges;.

They had the look of felt. Feelings made of felt. Get it?

I want a still of that scene where
Joy is touching the screen while viewing the memory of Riley ice skating back in Minessota
, so I can set it as my FB cover photo.

I love this scene because
it illustrates really well how Riley remembers that event. Joy can skate along with her perfectly because at that very moment Riley was Joy, from the tip of her toes to the top of her head.

mcw

They had the look of felt. Feelings made of felt. Get it?

I read a bit about the production process for that effect... Originally the intent was for it to be used on Joy alone, and what they were going for there was an effervescent glow similar to what you see in a glass of champagne. It took them months to get it right, and when they finally did get it right, John Lasseter asked them to put the effect on all of the characters.

shem935

Banned
Really great movie. Loved almost everything about it. Had they not had the lava thing in front of it though it would have been soooo much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom